Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Funny Moments

The second, and final, pregnancy post written pre-announcement:

In an effort to make this blog less boring and slightly more enjoyable (particularly these pregnancy posts), I decided to keep a running list of funny things that happen.  Personally, I think the hardest thing is to hide this situation from our friends and family.  Ol' Trish is an inquisitive one.  And Mo can eagle-eye a refused cocktail from a mile away.  So, here's hoping that we keep the secret until we are ready to divulge and that the cover-up doesn't get too out of hand.

  • 11/7/2011:  I stayed with Trish tonight, and she graciously cooked a delicious dinner.  Spaghetti and meatballs to be exact.  From my quick glance at "foods to avoid," I didn't see spaghetti or meatballs listed, so I thought I was in the clear.  Until... I saw the salad, which had already been doused with blue cheese.  I'm pretty sure that blue cheese is one of those "soft cheeses" that is banned for carrying some disease or toxin I can't pronounce or spell.  What to do, what to do.  So, I start picking the cheese off my salad, which - of course - catches T's eye.  I then have to think on my feet and claim that I am avoiding all cheese.  She - of course - asks why.  At which point, I go into some fantastical story about how cheese is making me sick on my stomach, and I'm just trying to avoid it.  She eventually gives up, but only after offering "oh lactose issues."  Only problem now is that I've effectively banned all cheese from my diet in her presence.  And I love cheese.  Guess this "lactose issue" needs to clear itself up. 
  • 11/8/2011:  Last night I had some bizarre dream about some of our friends.  I will spare the details, but they involved holding a friend's baby only to have the father retaliate by removing two tires from my car and smashing in the windows.  Still laughing about it this morning, I emailed several friends so they could chuckle as well.  Well, the joke turned out to be on me, since two of the friends (one who is currently pregnant and one recently so) immediately replied with "maybe you're pregnant!"  Apparently, wild dreams can be a symptom of pregnancy?  Who knew.  So, we are approximately 4 days (days, I say!) into keeping this secret, and it is already going miserably.  
  • 11/20/2011:  Last night was the first real test.  We went over to ML's for dinner, and I knew I had to be stealthy with my faux drinking.  I decided to go with beer.  While ML was able to fool us while "drinking" wine, I just didn't think I had that level of expertise.  I opened a Miller Light bottle and pretended to drink it for a little while.  Then I slipped into the bathroom, poured out the beer, and filled the bottle with water.  I sipped on that the rest of the night.  Hopefully it worked.  We'll see in a month or so when we finally fess up.  
  • 12/22/2011:  As you can see, not a lot of funny happened in the last month.  But today we went to the doctor and had an ultrasound.  It was Marc's first chance to tag along.  (You can imagine how it went.  "What's that?  What's this?  What does this do?"  It was like I had a three-year-old with me.  At one point he asked if something was used as an internal female device (my words - his are not repeatable).  It was an overhead adjustable light.)  The only really funny moment came when, while waiting on the doctor, Marc asked me when we will start going to parenting classes (I think he meant childbirth, but who knows).  Then he said, "But I really don't need parenting classes.  I'm already great at it.  Just look at how good I am with Curran."  Hmmmm... Mary Louis might feel differently.

1 comment:

  1. Haha I think Marc is going to be a GREAT dad! And I'm sure that C would agree! :)

    And you pulled off the beer at our house for sure. But that was the last time we were fooled. Well, until the night you made the actual announcement. We were fooled (and severly depressed, prior to the announcement of course) again. :)

    ReplyDelete