Sunday, January 22, 2012

A new year, a new adjustment

As my sweet friend reminded me, I left off a little something about our Christmas celebration in my last post.  Marc and I are very excited that this past Christmas will be our last as a family of two because we are expecting a baby in July.  We found out in early November, and the secret-keeping has been killing us.  Needless to say, we feel so very blessed about this latest "adjustment." 

Although we knew very early, we decided to wait until Christmas to tell our family (and then friends).  I must admit I almost broke down and confessed our secret twice - once at Gianmarcos for a girls' dinner and once when our friends Mary Louis, John, and Curran stopped by our house right before Christmas.  But I managed to hold it together. 

As proof that God answers prayers big and small, we were able to tell my family our news at Christmas.  The timing was perfect - I hit 11 weeks the Friday before Christmas, we had an ultrasound appointment, and all looked good.  It has always been my dream to tell my family that we were expecting at Christmas.  When I pictured how to tell them, I always knew I wanted to do it with a present to be opened Christmas morning.  Christmas was always a wonderful time for my family.  I loved everything about the holiday growing up - from Advent to Christmas Eve communion; from racing down the stairs to loads of presents to running to the nativity to see if Baby Jesus had arrived.  It was just such a special time.  And then in college that changed.  My precious father passed away on December 21st, and suddenly Christmas held more sorrow than joy.  Over the past 13 years, Christmas has been full of highs and lows, but I always hoped that the full joy of Christmas would return once Marc and I had children.  So, it was very important to me that we shared our joyous news at Christmas. 

We have a tradition of "last gift" (where we select a particular gift that is each person's last present to open).  They can be funny, sentimental, or sweet.  This year Trish had the very "last gift" - a framed ultrasound picture of Bittle Escalona (as in little bittle).  We were a little anxious about everyone's reactions, but boy - they didn't disappoint.  There were screams, tears, and a good amount of jumping up and down.  As you can see, T may have been the most excited:



I was also excited to get Bittle's first gift.  Marc gave me the baby spoon and fork in our silver pattern.  So, so sweet. 


I'm not really sure what is going on with my expression in this picture.  The only explanation I have is that apparently this is my "so happy with my Christmas present" face.  As you can see in the below picture from two Christmases ago, I break this look out often.  [And yes, I know it really looks more like "I am being threatened by a serial killer and told to smile" face.]


Regardless of the face, we are very excited about the newest adjustment.  Well, that is all of us except Lucy. 

7 comments:

  1. This post made me cry! You and Marc are going to be the BEST parents....bittle is so very blessed already! And glad you posted this b/c I was highly disappointed when not a word was mentioned in your last post. Love that you can always count on Trish for a great reaction! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me cry, too! We are so happy for y'all and can't wait to meet our newest little baby next summer!! Love the pic of Trish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay for baby bittle! :) sweet marc to get you the baby spoon & fork - so thoughtful! love the photos!! so happy for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! Can't wait to meet Bittle Escalona! And love how Mrs. Trish never disappoints on the reactions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love!!! Can't wait to meet baby Meghan Kelly Escalona (for girl) or Kelly Meghan Escalona (for boy)... isnt that just special I married a boy with a girls name!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was the sweetest post Prim...definitely brough a tear to my eye (imagine that) - So so happy for you two and can't wait to read more about the babe! Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your mom's reaction! So sweet! Congrats to y'all!

    ReplyDelete