I wrote this post the day after we found out about Bittle. I planned to chronicle the first few weeks with lots of posts. I wrote two. Shocker. Here's the first (which will be boring unless you were at the AL/LSU game and were wondering why I was being a huge pain - so sorry Mo, Lenzi, Kim, Kelly, MB, et al):
Taking a page from this friend and this friend, I am capturing these early days. Yesterday I found out I was pregnant. Shock and awe don't even come close to describing the feeling. As I type this Sunday afternoon, I'm still not convinced it is real (despite three home pregnancy tests confirming the opposite). For posterity, I thought I would jot down how I found out.
The weekend after my birthday was the "Game of the Century," otherwise known as the Alabama/LSU showdown. Several friends were coming from out-of-town to stay with us, and we had big plans for the weekend. Friday night we cooked out and had a group of friends over. We ate, we drank (yikes!), and just hung out. The next morning everyone was up and moving, getting ready to go the game. I was feeling a little under the weather, so I decided to stay in Birmingham. After a little breakfast and some time on the couch with Lifetime, I decided I could rally and wanted to go to Tuscaloosa to watch the game (no one had tickets, so we just planned on tailgating and watching the game on tv). Our friend Jimmy was headed that way, so I asked to ride along.
Before Jimmy came to pick me up, I ran a few errands, including to CVS. I realized that I was supposed to have a visit from Mother Nature on Friday, but hadn't, and assumed it was going to happen any minute (sorry for the TMI and for sounding like a ridiculous commercial with my description). Based on a lingering feeling, I decided to stock up on both feminine products and a pregnancy test. The CVS lady must have been very confused at that one. I also can't be sure I was wearing my wedding ring. What she must have thought.
So, on a whim, 15 minutes before Jimmy showed up to pick me up, I took the test. Then I almost passed out when it turned up positive. Seriously. Almost. Died. I really wasn't expecting it. And still wasn't convinced it was correct. I had a second test, so I was chugging water trying to take another one before Jimmy showed up. No luck. So, I had to hop in the car and head to Tuscaloosa still reeling from one positive test. I was pretty convinced it wasn't right, so I was furiously googling "false positive pregnancy test" on my phone the whole ride.
As you can imagine, I was pretty antsy once getting to Tuscaloosa. I couldn't have a drink, couldn't tell anyone, couldn't confirm with a second test, couldn't stop asking for bathroom stops after guzzling a gallon of water. So, instead I just paced the tailgate. Awkward. I'm pretty confident that our friends didn't know what to make of me.
After a long (but mostly good) game, we headed back home. After the traffic, a wreck (not us, but it slowed down traffic), and the bathroom stops, we finally got home around 2 am. I decided to take another test, fully expecting a "not pregnant." But, yet again. Positive.
I woke up the next morning and - after a trip to Waffle House (and googling what a pregnant person should avoid foodwise, which probably includes everything cooked at a Waffle House) - took yet another test. Again, positive. Then it was time to tell M... I would share the pictures and his response, but he hadn't showered for the day and his vanity won't let me post them. Those of you who have seen his shoe collection understand - he's very particular about his appearance (and it was kicking that morning). He, too, was in shock but excited - once he figured out what he was looking at (the third test).
I love this story. Mostly that I got to kinda sorta be an (unknowing) part of it. And for the record, you played it off marvelously. I can't believe we were trying to drag you in Dixie! Thank you for refusing that one!
ReplyDelete