There is an older country song that includes lyrics something to the effect of "she was planning her nights by the tv Guide." My mother used to kid me that those lyrics pretty much summed up my life. Growing up I loved tv. I would like to think the obsession started with Sesame Street, but odds are it was born out of watching Dallas and Days of our Lives with my grandparents. When you can hum the Dallas theme music at age 3, there really is no hope.
As a teenager, I was often ensconced on the couch munching on Ruffles potato chips and french onion dip and watching the latest episodes of 90210, Melrose Place, and Days of our Lives, which I taped daily. (This likely explains my teenage pudginess and the treadmill I received one Christmas.) As I've grown older (and presumably wiser), my tv watching has abated. Don't kid yourself into thinking that I made a conscious decision to watch less tv (yes, I know that there are much better pursuits, but I don't really care). I just don't have as much time to lounge on the couch and catch my favorite episodes. (And we don't have DVR, so that's out.) But the fact remains, I love tv. Love it. Love it. Love it.
Despite my inability to watch any shows with regularity, I have somehow managed to catch several episodes of my new favorite show: The Voice. Now, unlike M (and apparently the rest of America), I am not a fan of American Idol or really any of those other talent shows. But there is something about The Voice that just slays me. It really is so good. Last night's episode was great, and I just had to share my favorite part.
I've watched it about a million times on my phone today (I also love the message in the song minus the cursing, which is not in this version). Now, if I could just get my hands on some Ruffles and french onion dip, I'd be set.
No comments:
Post a Comment